Friday, September 23, 2005

Pop Paw

If I had one wish granted, I would wish for the chance to see my Dad interact with my kids.
My Dad was a big kid himself. He believed in having fun was much more important than being "Adult". In the years before he had gotten sick he had, bought a white water raft, a motorcycle, broken his arm on rollerblading. He was also contemplating buying a hot air balloon. At one point years before he was in the process of building a glider that he was actually going to jump off of cliffs with.
Yesterday when it hit me that it was the week of my Dad's Birthday and also the same week he had died (5 days apart). I sat down with the kids and told them what the week was to me and how although I felt sad that they never got the chance to play with him. I wanted them to know that they had an incredible Pop Paw. I told them all of things above that I mentioned and of course Abi didn't really get it. Logan turned to me and said "What do you like to remember best about him?" (seriously the kid amazes me). I sat there for a minute and tried to think of one thing that I loved most about him. I then replied that I always knew my Dad loved me no matter what, he was never shy about saying or expressing so. He was very affectionate, holding my hand, rubbing my back, cracking my toes (yea I know strange that I consider that affection). I loved being with my Dad even more than with my friends. My dad taught me to be comfortable with myself, as a 6 foot tall 16yr old for he had been there too. He let me know that the teenage years were the worst years of my life and that it does get better. I just wish he could be here to see that it has gotten better. To enjoy his grandkids and throw them up in the air.

Today was Grandparents day at Logans school. As I watched my Mom and him walk up the street I could almost imagine my Dad holding his other hand.

No comments: