Monday, February 07, 2005

The end of the world as we know it

Usually I am very lucky to say that I get a full 8 hours of sleep. I hear friends and read blogs warning expecting parents that they will NEVER sleep again once you have kids. For me this is not true I learned that sleep is especially important once you have kids. Not just so the kids function with out going totally bonkers every day but because I NEED sleep, so I don't go bonkers every day!
Erik on the other hand has gone over a year with getting approx. 6 hours of sleep a night. I think at times he is resentful that I get to wake up to the sounds of Barney, instead of an alarm clock. Last night he wouldn't have been so resentful. Here is what a 3 colds and an ear infection can do to my perfect 8 hours of sleep!

10:30~ Try to calm Logan down from a psychotic state of pain from a VERY bad ear infection. He spit out the yummy bubble gum Ibprofin and acted like I was trying to kill him by kicking, screaming and scratching me when I put in his ear drops. After about 20 min of finally drugging him up and listening to him mumble "Oh my goodness, oh my goodness!" he fell asleep.

12:30~ After laying in bed feeling guilty about never getting Logans adnoids and tonsils removed months ago., Abbie wakes up crying because she had no covers on and was just way over tired to settle in. Of course this woke up Logan who started once again crying in pain and not wanting to take anything else for it. (like ear drops or Tylenol)

2am ish~ still not asleep, laying in a almost forced state of calm I hear a "Mommy!" that is less severe than before but I know if ignored would only get worse. I go in to find Logan upside down in his bed and him saying that "He just can't stand it anymore!" I lay with him and finally convince him to take some Tylenol so he can get some sleep. He says he has to go to the bathroom but can't walk there, So I carry him to the bath room, he has diarrhea,(go figure we have been pumping him with the Tylenol then Ibprofin for over 24hrs) I have to leave the room because I can't be in there while he poops. 5 minutes later we are back in bed I have to lay with him until he falls asleep. I finally get back to bed right before 3.

4AM~ Annika has been in her room for 10 min. not crying but talk/ whining. I know this means either she has a dirty diaper, or her leg is stuck in the bars (once again). Since I am yet not fully asleep, I get up to check her and as soon as I open the door know she has a dirty diaper. I change her trying to keep her quiet so she doesn't wake up her neighbors and nurse her back to sleep.

430ish~ Is that really Eriks alarm clock going off already? I have yet to get to sleep, I put a pillow over my head and hope to catch atleast 2 hours of sleep.


6:30am~ I guess that is as good as it's gona get 2hrs.
Abbie is heading downstairs, snot encrusted up to her eyebrows, she is "fursty". I clean her up get her drink and plop her in front of the T.V I head for the couch, for Logan is right behind her in pain once again.
I wait for the Dr's office to open so I can drag my 3 tired, snotty, grouchy kids to a dirty Doctors office and worry about what else they are going to catch while we sit there on the "Sick" side of the waiting room.

I hate, hate, hate, this time of year. Having 3 kids is always a juggling act but when they are sick, it is like juggling with knifes.
And people wonder why I have become such a germaphobe!~ I NEED MY SLEEP!!!!!

No comments: